2008年11月25日 星期二

"The Thinker" by Rodin

The Thinker (French: Le Penseur) is a bronze and marble sculpture by Auguste Rodin held in the Musée Rodin in Paris. It depicts a man in sober meditation battling with a powerful internal struggle.[1] It is often used to represent philosophy.

Sculpture

Originally named The Poet, the piece was part of a commission by the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris to create a monumental portal to act as the door of the museum. Rodin based his theme on The Divine Comedy of Dante and entitled the portal The Gates of Hell. Each of the statues in the piece represented one of the main characters in the epic poem. The Thinker was originally meant to depict Dante in front of the Gates of Hell, pondering his great poem. (In the final sculpture, a miniature of the statue sits atop the gates, pondering the hellish fate of those beneath him.)" The sculpture is nude, as Rodin wanted a heroic figure in the tradition of Michelangelo, to represent intellect as well as poetry".

Rodin made a first small plaster version around 1880. The first large-scale bronze cast was finished in 1902, but not presented to the public until 1904. It became the property of the city of Paris – thanks to a subscription organized by Rodin admirers – and was put in front of the Panthéon in 1906. In 1922, it was moved to the Hôtel Biron, which was transformed into a Rodin Museum.

More than any other Rodin sculpture, The Thinker moved into the popular imagination as an immediately recognizable icon of intellectual activity; consequently, it has been subject to endless satirical use. This started in Rodin's lifetime.

Further casts

Over twenty casts of the sculpture are in museums around the world. Some of these copies are enlarged versions of the original work, and some are sculptures of different scales.






























加入圖片



2 則留言:

netfandu 提到...

hiii i see ur blog this is really nice. i wanna link exchange wid u . if u like my offer then visit my blog. this is netfandu.blogspot.com

匿名 提到...

What is he thinking ????

1. People will be thinking of what I am thinking?
2. People will think I am in sober meditation, I am struggling with a powerful internal struggle, and I represent philosophy!
3. I will be an icon of intellect and poetry!
4. Why people are so curious and imaginative of what's inside of me?
5. Why am I exposed as nude to the world?
6. I am actually in pain and distress because I am hiding something inside of me!
7. It may be embarassing to let you know what I am really thinking and what my internal struggle is!
8.It's always nice that people can only see the good things about you from the outside!
9. It's hard and unpleasant to show you what I have inside of me!
You may not want to see it!
10. It would be nice if I can get rid of all the nuisance and bad things of what's inside of me!
11. I shall then be relieved from my pain and be able to stand on my feet again!
12. I must be having a bad eating habit and not drinking enough water!!!